To quote Jane Austen, some say “I am a great reader and take great pleasure in nothing else.”
But “I deserve no such praise or such centure. I am not a great reader and take pleasue in many things.”
[Yes, that’s from ‘Pride and Prejudice’]
However there is that list of books that I have been meaning to read, I just never get around to reading them. Several of these book I bought at around this time last year and I have yet to pick them up. These books are:
- Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy
- War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy. Or if you want the Seinfeld version, you could call it War, what is it good for?
- Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte
- The Pickwick Papers, Charles Dickens
- David Copperfield, Charles Dickens
- Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens
- 1984, by George Orwell. Yes, I “read” this in yr11, but I was highly prejudiced against it and I want to read it again to give it a fair go.
- Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkein
- To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
- Lorna Doone, by Richard Doddridge Blackmore
- Portrait of a Lady, by Henry James
The Classics. These may take me a long time to read but, “I am quite determined” – Jane Austen.
If you have any suggestions for my ‘Summer Reading List’. Leave a comment.